FRFF2009- a response to Anne and support for FRFF

All 2008 specific discussion, tornado & aftermath

Postby TyteFystedFolkie » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:15 pm

[quote="john r"]<<Will it be necessary to provide documentation that one did, indeed, survive the 2008 festival in order to purchase and don said shirt(s)??>>

who cares? if someone wants to buy one, with proceeds going to help the festival, why not? i mean, is this an exclusive club with privileges? geez.[/quote]

Unfortunately, my unique sense of humor is lost on SOME folks.

I've been told that I'm simply too intelligent, too witty for life on this planet. But, nevertheless, I endeavor to persevere.
TyteFystedFolkie

Postby john r » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:35 pm

i have to admit - it is difficult to separate your witticisms from your truly stupid remarks.
john r

Postby TyteFystedFolkie » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:05 pm

[quote="john r"]i have to admit - it is difficult to separate your witticisms from your truly stupid remarks.[/quote]

One word, Kid.....PERSPECTIVE.
TyteFystedFolkie

Three versions of t-shirt?

Postby amp » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:13 pm

<<Will it be necessary to provide documentation that one did, indeed, survive the 2008 festival in order to purchase and don said shirt(s)??>>

who cares? if someone wants to buy one, with proceeds going to help the festival, why not? i mean, is this an exclusive club with privileges? geez.

There are still a few folks out there who wouldn’t want to claim they did something when they had not (or who wouldn’t want to admit they stayed with the weather being what it was).

Maybe one shirt version would exclude some sales. Maybe we need three variants, all with the same “bashed bird” on front:

1. Made it through Sunday version:
I SURVIVED FRFF 2008
Torrential Rains!
70 MPH Winds!
Golf Sized Hail!
Who says festival attendance isn’t an extreme sport??!!

(and YES I will attend FRFF next year!)

2. Wasn’t there, think it would have been exciting version:
FRFF 2008 SURVIVOR WANNABE
Torrential Rains!
70 MPH Winds!
Golf Sized Hail!
Who says festival attendance isn’t an extreme sport??!!

(YEAH! I wanna attend FRFF next year!)

3. Glad I missed all the excitement version:
Torrential Rains!
70 MPH Winds!
Golf Sized Hail!
ARE YOU NUTS!!??
(but, wow, the music and dancing sound like fun - maybe I will attend FRFF next year!)
amp

tornado fund a great idea

Postby folkgirl8 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:26 am

This has been our 5th falcon ridge and I can't imagine not going....at all. I think anyone that makes this an annual tradition of folk music and fun would be more than willing to make a donation. I know I would. We need to stand together and be strong... The FRFF will prevail because folkies are unbelievably the best!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D
folkgirl8

Donations and t-shirts

Postby songbird777777 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:10 pm

I LOVE the t-shirt idea (and the three t-shirt idea-LOL).

As far as donations, I'm with Betsey, I might be willing to contribute, but not with no clue as to why donations are needed. Wouldn't event insurance pay for any damage incurred?

Tickets to outdoor events are usually understood to be "rain or shine" with "schedule subject to change" so I can't see that there would be grounds for people to ask for refunds. (And if refunds are due, wouldn't event insurance cover that expense as well?)

I certainly want to see the festival continue. I hope more details are forthcoming.
songbird777777

SO THE FRFF IS BROKE

Postby MAX » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:45 pm

heres my theory..... the tornado didn't really cost FRFF that much money in damages. insurance will most likely cover 99% of the damage done.

what really hurt FRFF this year was the rain on Wed through Fri. if you were there, you know the roads were closed for most of the fest this year, so the only way to get you stuff in was to carry it in on your back. A LOT of people didn't feel like it and went home.

and since it rained so much there was virtually NO DAY TRIPPERS. i worked in Lost&Found and watched wrist bands go by all afternoon Thurs- untill the Tornado hit (when L&F blew away) and i saw about 40 day bands....over the course of the entire fest.

and because it was the 20th anniversary fest they spent big bucks on musical talent...

SO all in all, no one showed up, no one bought merchandise, and FRFF lost a SHIT LOAD of money
MAX

Postby Carter » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:30 pm

Hi all,

Carter Smith from Common Ground Coffeehouse (commongroundfusw.com) in Hastings-on-Hudson NY. We're happy to send an outright donation to the fund right away, and are also willing to host a benefit show as well. I saw someone from the Boston area offered the same thing. Maybe we can coordinate and set up a series of benefits in different regions -- northern NJ, Westchester, Upper Hudson Valley/Western MA, CT, Boston, etc.

If anyone is interested, let me know!
Carter

Postby betsys » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:56 pm

Don't get me wrong - I'd *still* like to know the numbers but I *did* make a modest donation. As a single mom I can't donate much but FRFF means a great deal to us and I want to see it stay alive! I'm sure that MAX is right and the big losses came from the double whammy of fewer walk-in tickets and reduced food and merchandise revenue. It was a very small crowd, especially Sunday.

(Ourselves, we had camping tickets and planned to arrive Wednesday, but we ended up staying in a motel and arriving at FRFF Friday. I sure wish our money had gone to an extra day of FRFF food instead of to that crummy crummy motel! But it was a double whammy for us too as we paid extra to sleep indoors.)
betsys

MAX's Spin

Postby TyteFystedFolkie » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:19 pm

Max is thinking along my lines. Tornadoes kill and injure people, and damage 'physical plant'. FRFF essentially has no physical plant...the sound system(s) is(are) the property of Klondike, and I can't imagine them not insuring their stuff.

As I mentioned previously, my read on the dilemma is that revenues were severely depressed because of bad weather, especially so on Sunday when the bad weather was FORECAST. Sadly, Sunday's lineup was especially strong with Railroad Earth and Janis Ian constituting, IMNSHO, a twin headliner.

I appreciate Anne and Howard's efforts to deliver a great closing day and encourage them to persevere. Meanwhile, I feel that the FRFF community should recognize the role that day patrons can play in making the festival financially strong, and BEGIN to figure how we can cater more to their needs.
TyteFystedFolkie

Supporting FRFF

Postby Dwood » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:50 pm

This was my first year at this wonderful folk cavelcade. I loved it and will return as long as the old body holds out.
I have begun a wandering ministry to get all of my friends there next year. So far, there are 11 of us commited.
The easiest way for us to show our support would be to buy next years tickets now.
The next easiest would be attending a small benefit concert.
I know I saw a few posts sugesting that in various threads. If you all are serious, should we start a thread specific to organizing that?

Peace,
Howl at the moon? Oh yes!
Dwood

Postby photomonk » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:31 pm

One benefit concert has already been announced. Sept 23 at Club Passim in Cambridge MA:

http://www.clubpassim.org/passimcalenda ... 1210708075
photomonk

2nd annual Boston-area Dave Carter tribute will benefit FRFF

Postby Notlob » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:12 pm

The next easiest would be attending a small benefit concert.
I know I saw a few posts sugesting that in various threads. If you all are serious, should we start a thread specific to organizing that?

“Falcon Ridge 2008 Tornado Fund Benfit Concerts” was created 8/3.
http://www.falconridgefolk.com/phpBB2/v ... .php?t=247

To date, one benefit concert is planned and listed.
Keep your lamp trimmed and burning!
Producer, notloB Folk Concerts ~ http://sites.google.com/site/notlobmusic/
Producer/Host, "In the Tradition", Tuesdays 5-8pm, 91.3fm, streaming at http://www.wcuw.org/
Notlob

Re: Three versions of t-shirt?

Postby Starmiter » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:43 pm

If it's not too late to add one more T-shirt into consideration (and really, all of them could live on as bumper stickers or pins or posters or some-such), how about on the Front:

"I Survived Falcon Ridge '08..."

and on the Back:

"...and Helped Save Falcon Ridge '09!"

Just putting in my two .25-cent Falcon Ridge Bucks...
:wink:
Starmiter

Re: Three versions of t-shirt?

Postby Starmiter » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:43 pm

If it's not too late to add one more T-shirt into consideration (and really, all of them could live on as bumper stickers or pins or posters or some-such), how about on the Front:

"I Survived Falcon Ridge '08..."

and on the Back:

"...and Helped Save Falcon Ridge '09!"

Just putting in my two .25-cent Falcon Ridge Bucks... :wink:
Starmiter

Previous

Return to FR 2008, Year of the Tornado