Seeing our accountant this Friday

All 2008 specific discussion, tornado & aftermath

Seeing our accountant this Friday

Postby AnneS » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:59 pm

We are still waiting on 4 final bills that always come late in Sept, next credit card statements as well, we pay sev bills on 2 cards and then pay down the cards. Seeing our accountant this Fri as well. Was supposed to be today, but was rescheduled.

A note here tho, final accounting takes a while. Like other monthly bills, some of ours come in a month or 2 after the fest, a few even later. Other factors come into play as well, one being that we act as a bank and cash many checks for performers and vendors on-site. Those cks turned into us for cash are then held til October for deposit, sometimes there are adjustments. Insurance payments can take sev months, program book revenue is not all collected for a while. There's more, these details would take pages to cover. I am not even aware of all of them since this is not my primary function.

Obviously tho we have the same amt of bills to pay, a bit more due weather issues, not that much as it turns out but some, and much less walk up gate sales both Thu and Sun coming in to pay those bills. Less gate sales means less food and merch sales as well. This is basic common-sense arithmetic which most of you on the Forum get.

Refund requests have been few, I have 2 more here now but the grand total on refunds is less than $1000 to date and I don't expect much more if any at this point. Initial inquiries indicated much more but it has not come to pass.

Demanding detailed financial info that is not yet complete or at least complete enough to make useful predictions is not helpful. I am not going to make guesses until all the bills are in and enough final accounting details are known. Only a few ppl here have actually pestered me about that. I am not ignoring these few, I just don't know yet.

If I have to make a guess right now on continuing or not I would have to say it is still iffy.

If this had occurred at another time, it might be different but remember we moved to this site 3 years ago, the cost to do so was approx 65 grand. That was actually cheap. The fact that Howard is a building contractor and able to do much of the work himself, find or purchase materials at a discount or use alternate methods and materials saved a bundle. We figured we could make it up in 2 years if both of us put all proceeds back in for 2 years and did not take a fee. We both put in some $$ as well and paid for the move as well as all bills.

This will be a third year of no fest income, we can both handle that. It's not desirable certainly, we will have to cut back on personal and other expenses that we had planned but we could get thru it if the bills can all be paid. That's all I know at this point.

Anne
Anne Saunders
Falcon Ridge Folk Festival
AnneS

Postby john r » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:17 am

thank you for the update, anne. as you said, most of us do get it and understand the interactions and that the whole process is complicated. and most of us will do what we can to ensure that there is a festival next year.
john r

NAMES!!

Postby TyteFystedFolkie » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:44 pm

[quote="AnneS"]

Refund requests have been few, I have 2 more here now but the grand total on refunds is less than $1000 to date and I don't expect much more if any at this point.

Anne[/quote]

NAMES!! I NEED NAMES!!!
TyteFystedFolkie

Postby TyteFystedFolkie » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:59 pm

[quote="john r"]

..... most of us do get it and understand the interactions and that the whole process is complicated. and most of us will do what we can to ensure that there is a festival next year.[/quote]

Just a LITTLE curious, john. How is that YOU know that which "most of us....get....understand.....and will do"??? Is it YOU who has the divine powers??

Doesn't it hurt to be patting one's self on the back so often??
TyteFystedFolkie

Postby john r » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:37 pm

anne: <<This is basic common-sense arithmetic which most of you on the Forum get.>>

john :<<thank you for the update, anne. as you said, most of us do get it and understand the interactions and that the whole process is complicated. and most of us will do what we can to ensure that there is a festival next year.>>

tyte: <<Just a LITTLE curious, john. How is that YOU know that which "most of us....get....understand.....and will do"??? Is it YOU who has the divine powers?? >>

pray tell - where did i mention who (not which) "got it"? what is your problem?
john r

Postby TyteFystedFolkie » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:47 pm

[quote="john r"]anne: <<This is basic common-sense arithmetic which most of you on the Forum get.>>

john :<<thank you for the update, anne. as you said, most of us do get it and understand the interactions and that the whole process is complicated. and most of us will do what we can to ensure that there is a festival next year.>>

tyte: <<Just a LITTLE curious, john. How is that YOU know that which "most of us....get....understand.....and will do"??? Is it YOU who has the divine powers?? >>

pray tell - where did i mention who (not which) "got it"? what is your problem?[/quote]

john:

Your construction, employing the word "as", implies that you agree that MOST people agree.

My construction, employing the pronoun "which" with it's modifier "that" is COMPLETELY correct.

I really don't have a problem, john, except when dealing with those less knowledgeable AND less willing to see their own shortcomings and intolerances than myself....and even then, it's not a problem, but rather, a minor vexation.....a 'vexitation situation' one might say.
TyteFystedFolkie

Postby john r » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:56 pm

yes - that is a beautifully constructed sentence. are you a professional writer?

<<Your construction, employing the word "as", implies that you agree that MOST people agree. >>

oh good. you unerstood what i meant. of course that is what i meant. most people do get it (not agree).
john r

Postby TyteFystedFolkie » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:34 am

[quote="john r"]tyte: <<Just a LITTLE curious, john. How is that YOU know that which "most of us....get....understand.....and will do"??? Is it YOU who has the divine powers?? >>

yes - that is a beautifully constructed sentence. are you a professional writer?

<<Your construction, employing the word "as", implies that you agree that MOST people agree. >>

oh good. you unerstood what i meant. of course that is what i meant. most people do get it (not agree).[/quote]

I mean, quite simply, that IF you can speak for others, than so can I.
TyteFystedFolkie

Postby martin52 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:44 pm

You two - John R and Tytefysted - need to give it a rest. I come to this forum for information about the festival. I do not come to this forum to read the never ending, mindless and trivial exchanges between you two.

Perhaps you could set up your own forum where you can bash each other to your hearts content.
martin52

Postby TyteFystedFolkie » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:30 am

[quote="martin52"]You two - John R and Tytefysted - need to give it a rest. I come to this forum for information about the festival. I do not come to this forum to read the never ending, mindless and trivial exchanges between you two.

Perhaps you could set up your own forum where you can bash each other to your hearts content.[/quote]

IMNSHO, there is very little information to be gleaned here,,,,,but you're certainly welcome to try.
TyteFystedFolkie

Postby simoncat » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:56 pm

To recap this thread, without providing unnecessary and distracting quotes to lengthen this message.

1. Anne provides useful information.

2. John thanks Anne for providing that useful information.

3. TFF makes a joke and trashes John.

4. John takes the bait.

5. Everyone else is either amused or annoyed.
simoncat

Postby Notlob » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:16 pm

Moral of the story: DON'T TAKE THE BAIT!
Keep your lamp trimmed and burning!
Producer, notloB Folk Concerts ~ http://sites.google.com/site/notlobmusic/
Producer/Host, "In the Tradition", Tuesdays 5-8pm, 91.3fm, streaming at http://www.wcuw.org/
Notlob

Postby john r » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:51 pm

i just spit the hook
john r

Postby TyteFystedFolkie » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:24 pm

[quote="simoncat"]To recap this thread, without providing unnecessary and distracting quotes to lengthen this message.

1. Anne provides useful information.

2. John thanks Anne for providing that useful information.

3. TFF makes a joke and trashes John.

4. John takes the bait.

5. Everyone else is either amused or annoyed.[/quote]

You see, it's all very simple. I'm an equal-emotion poster. I amuse some and annoy others. AND, I do it without ANY apologies.
TyteFystedFolkie

AND, BTW.....

Postby TyteFystedFolkie » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:27 pm

....has the accountant suggested possibly renegotiating the terms of the contract with the Dodd Family??
TyteFystedFolkie

Next

Return to FR 2008, Year of the Tornado